Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer
Carbon Monoxide is a gas you cannot see, taste or smell. According to ready.gov, an average of 430 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Oftentimes, it is the result of faulty, improperly used, or vented consumer products like furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters and engine-powered equipment, such as portable generators.
However, there are precautions you can take to help protect yourself, your family, and your employees from deadly carbon monoxide fumes.
Reduce the chance of carbon monoxide exposure in your workplace by performing regular maintenance on equipment and appliances that can produce carbon monoxide. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home, including outside of all bedrooms.
Consider having all fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys serviced annually by a professional. Use portable generators only in well ventilated areas away from doors, windows, vents and any other opening to prevent fumes from entering the home.
For additional carbon monoxide safety information, visit usfa.fema.gov or osha.gov.